U.S. Government Rental Car Program
The U.S. Government Rental Car Program offers reduced rates and special benefits when renting cars, passenger vans, or small pick-up trucks through a variety of approved rental car companies. The program is open to federal government employees and service members traveling on official business. To receive program benefits including insurance, travelers must book the government rate, ensure “GARS” is listed on the rental contract, and present proof of official travel status.
U.S. Government Rental Truck Program
The U.S. Government Rental Truck Program is an excellent example of a very effective working relationship between government and industry to provide quality vehicles at reasonable prices for federal travelers on official travel. The program is governed by U. S. Government Truck Rental Agreement and covers the rental of pickup, cargo vans, utility and straight trucks (commercial) by military members and employees of the federal government while in official travel status and when such rental is authorized by the government. Vehicles available under the program are limited to those vehicles which the gross vehicle weight (GVW) does not require a Commercial Driver's License (CDL) or a Class "C" license to operate. The program does not cover personal moves.
The program provides the following benefits:
- No fee for collision damage waiver (CDW)/loss damage waiver (LDW)
- No fee for liability coverage
- Competitive rates
- No underage drivers' fee for drivers between ages 21 and 25
- Established ceiling rates
- Vehicles must be less than five years old
To view the rental agreement, ceiling rates or to see a list of participating rental truck companies, refer to the associated links to the right in the Quick Links and Resources box.
Rental Vehicle Assistance
The DTMO Rental Vehicle Assistance Tool is designed to provide assistance to the federal traveler when accidents occur while on official travel, and to offer assistance with rental car and truck company customer service matters.
The DTMO Rental Vehicle Assistance Tool is NOT a place to be used to file a claim against the government either by a third party, or by the rental agency. All renters should first attempt to resolve issues directly with the rental company.
For assistance with a rental vehicle or to provide feedback on your rental experience, click on the Rental Vehicle Assistance Tool button on the upper right hand side of this page.
What You Need to Know
- The Agreement covers military members and Federal Government civilian employees when in an official travel status and authorized to rent a vehicle by the Government
- The Agreement does not cover personal moves
- Minimum age for truck rental is 21 years
- Federal employees can secure government rates under the Agreement by making reservations through their Travel Management Center, Travel Management Center, rental truck company website, toll free numbers or walk-up
- Collision Damage Waiver/Loss Damage Waiver and Liability coverage are provided for personal injury, wrongful death and property damage
- Program offers rate options which include rates with unlimited mileage; rates with mileage charges and rates or fees for one-way rentals
- All rates are not subject to blackout dates or minimum rental periods
- If the Company chooses to provide an alternative rental truck because the reserved rental truck is not available at time of pick-up, the reserved rental truck rate remains unchanged, and the terms and conditions of the Agreement continue to apply
- In most cases when a vehicle is rented under the terms of the U.S. Government Rental Truck Agreement, neither the Government nor the Government renter will be responsible for loss or damage to a rental vehicle; however, there are twelve exceptions listed in the Agreement for which the car rental company will not be responsible for such costs
Rental Truck Program Participant POCs: https://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/TRAgreementPOCs.pdf