Get guides to the most popular citation styles used in NPS theses and workshop information here.
Guidance on reusing the images of others is also provided.
To apply for an extension, please see your education technician. Keep your extension(s) updated with your education technician. This saves you the trouble of reactivating your NPS account when it is time to submit your thesis.
Extension students are expected to adhere to the same submission deadlines as resident students.
- Academic Honor Code: Standards of conduct while completing coursework inside and outside the classroom are outlined here.
- Travel Approval: Some students travel to conduct interviews, present preliminary findings, or access archives. Student travel must be processed through the Travel Office.
- Export-Control Approval: Certain types of information require export-control protection. Export controls are government regulations that manage the transfer of commodities, technologies, and software to non-U.S. entities or individuals. For help, please see the Export Control Officer in the Research and Sponsored Programs Office.
- Copyright Guidance
- Human-Subjects Research: Human-subjects research methods such as surveys and interviews must be cleared with the Institutional Review Board (IRB) before the work is conducted.
- Sponsor PAO Approval: The student's sponsor or faculty member's research sponsor may require review before release. If so, students must contact their sponsors, and faculty members must contact their's, to obtain release approval.
- Proprietary Information Approval: Permission for distribution should be obtained from the individuals and companies as listed in blocks 9 and/or 10 of Standard Form 298 (page iii of the thesis). It is the advisor's responsibility to secure permission before the document is distributed to the NPS Library and DTIC.
The "Common Errors: We Mark—You Fix" sheet below outlines our style preferences. For style matters not covered there, refer to the guidelines of your citation manual and/or the following references. Additionally, the Dudley Knox Library and Graduate Writing Center offer easy access to more citation and writing guides.