Volunteer Student Service (VSS) Program
The purpose of the Volunteer Student Service (VSS) Program is to provide educational experience for selected students, and to provide NPS with increased student volunteers who are able to contribute to the mission of NPS, while learning about the role of NPS in education and research in support of national security.
Guidelines for Student Volunteers
Applications may be of a general-interest nature (i.e. the prospective student does not know where he or she will be working) or specific to a particular NPS School, Department, Institute, or Center. The volunteer assignment process will attempt to match qualified applicants to available opportunities. However, there may not be enough opportunities to accommodate all applicants.
Volunteers wishing to work at the Naval Postgraduate School (and other federal agencies) are subject to the following rules:
- The volunteer must be a student (defined as an individual who is enrolled not less than half-time, in a high school, trade school, technical or vocational institute, junior college, college, university, or comparably recognized educational institution)
- The volunteer must have permission (in writing) from the institution in which he or she is a student
- The volunteer must be at least 16 years old and a U.S. citizen or national
- The volunteer’s work will be uncompensated
- The volunteer will not displace any employee
- Upon selection, the volunteer will undergo a background investigation prior to gaining base access
Steps to Apply for the VSS Program
Students interested in volunteering at NPS must submit a complete VSS Program application, which consists of the following:
A completed VSS Program Application (download application form here). Minimum age to participate is 16 years old. Students under 18 years old must have parental/guardian permission to participate. Ensure the appropriate box on the application form is signed.
A student resume, in no particular format. It is understood that the amount of material available to include in a resume will vary and may be quite limited.
Proof of at least half-time school enrollment and approval Volunteer Program participation (see rules 1.a and 1.b), in no particular format.
Scan the form and other application requirements into one PDF file, labeled with your last name.
If the application is a general-interest or the volunteer has not made contact with the specific school, department, etc… the package should be submitted directly to email@example.com.
If the applicant has made contact with the opportunity sponsor, the application should be submitted through the opportunity sponsor.