Welcome to SEED
Mission: Making modeling and simulation more effective for decision makers.
These pages serve as links to some of the research and application of efficient experimental designs to simulation studies at the Naval Postgraduate School.
Our overriding approach has been to advance the state-of-the-art in conducting large-scale simulation studies, by developing and disseminating experimental designs that facilitate the exploration of complex simulation models. Ongoing application areas include studies on peacekeeping, technical and human aspects of warfare, adaptive asymmetric adversaries, homeland security, and networked future forces.
Our philosophy, in a nutshell, is that there are three basic goals for simulation experiments:
- developing a basic understanding of a particular simulation model or system,
- identifying robust decisions or policies, and
- comparing the merits of alternative decisions or policies.
Those performing simulation experiments face challenges and opportunities that often differ from those performing physical experiments. Simulation analysts need data collection and analysis approaches that make it possible to address these goals in a timely manner.
We are grateful for the collaborations that have developed through the international community of military decision-makers, academics, analysts, and software developers.
Student theses and many research papers are available for download. Full reference information and abstracts are available for other published papers. Some spreadsheet and software routines are also provided.
12/3/17-12/6/17 At the 2017 Winter Simulation Conference in Las Vegas, NV
- "Data Farming 101" (1/2 day tutorial, S. M. Sanchez and P. J. Sanchez). Pre-registration is required.
October 2017 Invited presentation at the 2017 Design and Analysis of Experiments Conference , UCLA: "Data farming research: opportunities for the design and analysis of large-scale simulation experiments" (S. M. Sanchez)
7/31/17-8/2/17 Presentation at the 2017 I-SIM Research Conference
- "Data farming: methods for the present, opportunities for the future" (S. M. Sanchez)
4/28/17-4/30/17 Panel discussion (R. Barton, J. Fowler, S. Sanchez, B. Schmeiser, and L. Schruben) at the Future Research Directions in Digital Computer Simulation for the Next 10 Years workshop
4/3/17 Full day "Data Farming Tutorial" at the Science of Test Workshop in Springfield, VA (S. M. Sanchez and M. L. McDonald)12/11/16-12/14/16 Several SEED sessions at the 2016 Winter Simulation Conference
- "Data Farming 101" (1/2 day tutorial, S. M. Sanchez and P. J. Sanchez)
- "A data farmer's almanac" (Titan of Simulation talk by S. M. Sanchez)
- "Improving Navy recruiting with data farming" (A. R. Hogarth, T. W. Lucas, and C. McLemore)
- "Tradespace analysis for multiple performance measures" (A. D. MacCalman, S. M. Sanchez, M. L. McDonald, S. R. Goerger, and A. T. Karl)
- "Comparison of Gaussian process modeling software" (C. Erickson, B. E. Ankenman, and S. M. Sanchez)
12/6/16-12/7/16 Plenary Session at the MORS Emerging Techniques Special Meeting: "Can foresight be 20/20? Envisioning and exploring potential futures via large-scale simulation experiments" (S. M. Sanchez)
11/27/16 Plenary Session at the Conference on Applied Statistics in Defense: "Data farming: Reaping insights from large-scale simulation experiments" (S. M. Sanchez)