Bargaining Unit Status
Bargaining unit status (BUS) codes are used in identifying specific agency Components and their labor organizations. BUS codes are assigned by the Office of Personnel Management (OPM). The first two characters designate the agency, i.e. NVXXXX designates Navy. The last four numbers identify a specific labor unit, such as NV2420 which designates NFFE Local 1690 at NPS.
Employees can find the BUS code by reviewing block 37 on their most recent Notification of Personnel Action, SF-50. The BUS code belongs to the position, not the employee.
BUS codes for NPS include:
- NV2420 - National Federation of Federal Employees, Local 1690
- Employees represented by NFFE Local 1690. Whether or not an employee wants to be a union member and pay dues is not a factor in determining BUS Codes. In accordance with the Statute, each employee shall have the right to form, join, or assist any labor organization, or to refrain from any such activity, freely and without fear of penalty or reprisal, and each employee shall be protected in the exercise of such right.
- 8888 - Employees Ineligible for Representation:
- Federal statute, at 5 USC 7102, provides for excluding certain employees from eligibility for representation as part of a bargaining unit. BUS code 8888 represents this designation.
- 7777 - Eligible but not Represented:
- BUS code 7777 identifies that the employee holds a position eligible for representation, although no union currently represents the employee.