Verbs and Verb Tense
Verbs are the heart of sentences: they tell readers what action a sentence was written to convey. Verbs either desribe an action or a state of being, and a wide variety of them are available to writers to help communicate that action as specifically as possible; indeed, sharpening your verbs is a key to concise writing.
Stuck in a rut using "is" all the time? Search online for "active verbs" or see our links.
Verbs and Verb Tense Links
- Printable List of Verbs for Academic Writing, University of Toronto
- Printable List of Action Verbs "describing your experiences and accomplishments," Harvard Law School
- Webpage: "Writing about Your Research: Verb Tense," University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Video: "Introduction to Verbs," Khan Academy
- Video: "Introduction to Verb Tense," Khan Academy
- Exercises: "Identifying Verbs," Khan Academy
- Exercises: "Introduction to Verb Tense," Khan Academy
The following index makes searching for a specific topic easier and links to the appropriate place in the sequenced material. We think we have most of them, but please email us at email@example.com if we are missing something!