What is the basic procedure for using Turnitin?
Follow these steps:
1. Log in at turnitin.com.
NOTE: If you do not yet have a TII account generated by the NPS software manager, email email@example.com to request a TII account. Accounts are granted to NPS faculty members.
2. Use the big green “Add Class” and “Add Assignment” buttons to create folders.
NOTE: See separate procedure to reset TII’s default settings to NOT upload the file to TII’s permanent repository. If a file is saved to TII's repository, subsequent drafts will match the saved version.
3. When creating an assignment, expand the optional settings by clicking the + symbol.
4. Scroll down to “Submit papers to:” and choose “no repository.”
When finished, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click “Submit.”
5. Once the assignment folder has been created, select “View” to go inside.
6. Inside the assignment folder, use the “Submit File” button to add a document. Enter first and last name of the author, title of the document, and “Choose from this computer” to browse for and select the file.
7. Press the “Upload” button (this can take up to 2 minutes to complete).
8. Press the “Confirm” button; this initiates TII’s analysis.
9. Press “Go to assignment inbox” to await the result, or select “Submit another file.” TII’s analysis can take from 5–20 minutes, as a rule. Back in the assignment folder, if the “Similarity” field for the document lacks a percentage, TII is still analyzing. Update the number by either refreshing the page, or by clicking the column heads, which re-sorts the list of documents.
10. To view the report in TII’s Document Viewer, click the percentage value in the “Similarity” field. When the document comes up in a separate window, select the “Originality” button (upper left) if not already highlighted.
11. To download as a PDF, in TII’s Document Viewer, select the printer button (lower left) and choose “Download PDF of current view for printing.”