Ideas and Insights
- Whats Your Data Worth?
- James Short and Steve Todd discuss why companies need to develop greater expertise at valuing their data assets.
- Fuel of the Future: Data is giving rise to a new economy
- The Economist shares the emerging economy surrounding the value of data, and the need for both recognition and compensation.
- Data for the People
- Andreas Weigend challenges the attitudes about the data, with a view towards transparency and a need for the stakeholders to become data literate.
- Data Science Overview for Marine Leaders
- On 09 May 2017, the Marine Corps Professional Analyst Community of Interest hosted an overview of data science for leaders, analysts, managers, and marine and civilians with an interest in this emerging field at the Marine Corps Base Quantico, VA. Dr. Marcus Stefanou, Naval Postgraduate School Computer Science Department, addresses in a half-day overview what data science is, what we mean by "big data" and cloud computing, and what the essential ingredients to enable data science within an organization are.
- What is Big Data?
- Jenna Dutcher of Berkeley asks the question, What is Big Data?
- A Very Short History of Big Data
- Gil Press discusses how big data became big starts.
- The Future of Crime Prevention
- Monica Rozenfeld discusses how big data can stop criminals in their tracks.
- Special Report: Big Data
- Connecting the dots to provide insight into the world we live in.
- Census and Sensibility
- Michael Geselowitz discusses a little history of big data
- Better Health Care Through Data
- Kathy Pretz discusses how health analytics could contain costs and improve care.
- Data Science Webinar Series
- Data Science Central
- ONR Tackles Data Science, Warfighter Performance
- Office of Naval Research.
- No More Solitude: How To Make DoD the Next Google
- Adam Jay Harrison and Stephen Rodriguez, say that a key element of the starategy is "leveraging big data."
More Data, Less Energy: Making Network Standby More Efficient in Billions of Connected Devices
- In 2012 the data centers alone were estimated to consume 3 percent of the world's electricity. When all the digital devices connected ot the Internet are added, the figure jumps to 6 percent.
- Where do collage graduates work? A Special Focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math
- Are STEM initiatives doing enough to keep students in science and technology?
- "So Far, Big Data Is Small Potatoes".
- John Horgan, author of The End of Science, warns people about the hype among scientists regarding Big Data, in his blog " So Far, Big Data is Small Potatoes".
- ONR: June 2014 Focus Area Forum (Data Science)
- Data Science, Decision Making, and C41. Chief of Naval Research, Real Admiral Matthew L. Klunder discusses Big Data as a warfighting advantage.
- Being Efficient with Bandwidth
- The authors, LCDR Steve Debich, LT Bruce Hill, Scot Miller, and Dr. Don Brutzman, describe the potential role of compressed XML and the efficient use of bandwidth for afloat units.
- ONRBAA 14-009: Advanced Analytics and Data Science for Naval Warefare Planning and Execution
- This document discusses the advanced analytics and data science for naval warefare, including topics such as evaluation process, award information and application and submission information
- NAVAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY: FUTURE FORCE
- "Future Force" is a professional magazine derived from the naval science and technology community to inform readers about the basic and applied research funded by the Navy.
- Information Dominance News clips (1 July 2014)
- "Information Dominance News Clips" is a distribution of articles concerning military insight and news arising around the world.
Data Flood: Helping the Navy Address the Rising Tide of Sensor Information
- "Data Flood: Helping the Navy Address the Rising Tide of Sensor Information" discusses options that could help solve the Navy's "big data" challenge.
Meet Fortune's 2014 Big Data All-Stars
-“Big data is about more than big numbers. Meet Fortune’s first class of Big Data All-Stars: 20 extraordinary people who we think are the best at connecting the dots, digging deep, and discovering the information that will transform the way businesses operate.”
(Linking Permissions: Unauthorized posting of RAND PDF's is prohibited. However, it is allowed to post direct text hyperlinks to RAND documents without written permission.)
For Data Challenge Details
For a short video about the NAVAIR Data Challenge at NPS, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YtGZ9kxmE4