All NPS Students are required to recieve:
1. RODS Training Quarterly Powerpoint
Students may also require lab/hazard specific depending on the course work they are involved with.
New Student Safety Brief
Staff and Faculty Training
Enterprise Safety Applications Management System (ESAMS) is to be utilized by all NPS Staff and Faculty to train, maintain NAVOSH program records, and maintain a safety culture that pervades all aspects of mission accomplishment. ALL NPS Staff and Faculty are required to recieve the following Safety Trainings:
1. NAVOSH Orientation (ESAMS Course #1356)
2. General Ergonomics Awareness (ESAMS Course #371) or Ergonomics Awareness Training for Supervisors (372)
3. Individual-Managing Your Risk (ORM) (ESAMS Course #3454). This is a Tri-Annual requirement.
4. Individual Managing your Risk Refresher - Equivalent. (ESAMS Course #5423) This is an annual requirement and training requirement may be met through departmental safety talks although it must be logged in ESAMS in order to record that training was completed.
Staff and Faculty may also require lab/hazard specific trainings depending on their the work they are engaged in.
New Staff Orientation
*note - The information on the PDF and Powerpoint versions are the same.
Lab & Hazard Specific Trainings
Individual positions and specific work processes or locations could warrant additional trainings. These additional trainings are typical based on hazards that have been identified during the most recent routine Industrial Hygiene. To find out more about your specific work space, please refer to our "Know Your Workplace Hazards" site.
Please refer to the below list of safety trainings.
Annual asbestos training is required to familiarize all personnel to the Asbestos Program as discussed in Chapter 17 of OPNAVINST 5100.23 (series). The different type of asbestos training that is provided is described below:
(1) Asbestos Awareness. All NPS personnel shall have a basic understanding as to how Asbestos Containing Building Materials (ACBM) are labeled, potential health effects associated with exposures to asbestos, how to report suspected problems with asbestos, and where asbestos may be found in the workplace. Asbestos Awareness training shall be provided to the general NPS population as part of the electronic monthly safety training topic.
(2) Class IV Asbestos Work. Annual refresher training shall be provided to all personnel engaged in maintenance and custodial activities during which employees contact but do not disturb Asbestos Containing Materials (ACM). Such training shall be provided by ESAMS.
(3) Class I,II,III Asbestos Work. Annual refresher training shall be provided to those NPS personnel that are routinely engaged in the removal, maintenance, and repair of all ACM (pipe insulation, sprayed-on acoustical, floor tile sheetrock, roofing, etc…). Such training shall be provided by NAVFAC Monterey Public Works (PW)
Inert Ordnance Training
First Aid, CPR, and AED certification is required every two years for the following personnel, and highly encouraged for all personnel:
1. Emergency Response teams,
2. Fire Department personnel,
3. Police Department personnel,
4. Hospital Corpsman,
5. Safety and Industrial Hygiene personnel,
6. Electrical power plant, and Electronics Technician, Lifeguards, Supervisors of above personnel
Other NPS employees that desire CPR and First Aid Certification may also enroll in these courses by contacting the NPS OSHE Directorate. Refresher training will be conducted as necessary to maintain current certification. Qualified American Red Cross instructors from NPS or NSAM will be offering the classes on a case-by-case basis determined by availability. Please note that each class is limited to 9 students; therefore it is imperative that you contact the First Aid & CPR Program Manager (NPS Login Required), prior to each class to ensure space is available. Three different types of CPR/First Aid training will be available:
1. Adult CPR (course length: 3 hours)
2. First Aid Basics (length: 3 hours)
3. Automated External Defibrillator (length: 1 hour)
HAZMAT/HAZCOM training is required to familiarize all personnel to the HMC&M program as discussed in Chapter 7 of reference 5-1. The type of HAZMAT/HAZCOM training that is provided is dependent upon occupation, as described below:
(1) Emergency Response, Hazardous Waste Handlers and Clean-up Personnel: 40 hour initial and/or 8 hour refresher training is required per 29 CFR 1910.1200. Contract vendor provides training.
(2) Departmental Hazardous Material Program Managers: This initial training session is applicable only to the designated department HM Program Managers assigned at NPS facilities. The Naval Education and Training Center (NETC) provides this training via course A-493-0031 (Introduction to HAZMAT ashore).
(3) Personnel Occupationally Exposed to Hazardous Material: This training is provided by the employee’s supervisor and/or Departmental Hazardous Material Program Manager and is tailored to individual jobs and specific exposures. The OSHA HAZCOM Standard does not establish time requirements for training, but instead depends upon employee knowledge of the standard, the HAZCOM program plan, and chemical hazards on the job, and safe performance of the job.
(4) Administrative Personnel. Training involving the hazards associated with typical office supplies and cleaning agents is provided by the employee’s supervisor and/or Department Safety Coordinator during initial job training and/or as a Monthly OSH Topic, during the month of June. Training information is available via ESAMS or by contacting the NPS HMC&M Coordinator.
All NPS Personnel that handle or store Lithium Polymer batteries are required to complete LiPo battery Safety Orientation.
This Safety Orientation ensures your acknowledgement of governing documents, the Navy Lithium Battery Safety Program, the NPS LiPo SOP, plus a general review of Lithium Battery Safety to raise your awareness and apply to your research effort.
Additional Training information may be found on the Lithium Battery Page.