Today@NPS_Title

Today@NPS

Asset Publisher
University Confers Its Newest Distinguished Professors
U.S. Navy photo by Javier Chagoya

By MC1 Lewis Hunsaker

Dr. I. Michael Ross, pictured, joins Dr. Gamani Karunasiri as the newest university faculty to be honored with the title of Distinguished Professor, a prestigious designation conferred upon a small number of NPS faculty in recognition of exceptional and sustained scholarly, teaching and service accomplishments. Karunasiri and Ross will be recognized during the upcoming Summer Quarter Graduation ceremony in King Auditorium, Sept. 23.

“It is always gratifying when an institution recognizes the contributions made by its members,” said Karunasiri. “I believe the contributions made by students and fellow researchers in my group were invaluable for me achieving this recognition.”

Karunasiri joined the faculty of NPS in 2000 in the Departmentof Physics, and conducts research in the areas of semiconductor device physics and micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) and their applications in novel sensors. He has published more than 100 journal papers and holds five patents, and is a Fellow of the American Physical Society.

Ross, a member of the institution’s Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, noted he was truly honored to be recognized in this capacity.

“I've been at NPS for 26 years. Over these years, my students and I have done a lot of research work for both the DOD and NASA, and we have also had the good fortune of having some of our ideas fly on board some spacecraft,” said Ross. “I feel lucky to have had a department Chair like Professor Garth Hobson, who has created a rewarding and enjoyable working environment.”

Throughout Ross’ career at NPS, he has supported all aspects of the Navy's educational objectives related to mechanical and aerospace engineering. His research interests include computational optimal control; astrodynamics, launch and entry; nonlinear control theory; near-earth-object interception; spacecraft attitude dynamics and control; and, inertial navigation.
Nav buttons

Archives

2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013

Today@NPS showcases some of the speakers, conferences, experiments, lectures, and other events that take place at the Naval Postgraduate School on a daily basis. If you would like more information about any of the highlighted activities please contact the Office of University Communications at pao@nps.edu.
August Title

August 2016

Asset Publisher