Today@NPS_Title

Today@NPS

Asset Publisher
Swedish Chief of Staff Talks Maritime Security During Campus Visit
U.S. Navy photo by MC1 Lewis Hunsaker

By MC3 Brian H. Abel

Swedish Royal Navy Chief of Staff Rear Adm. Jan Thörnqvist speaks to attendees of the Technologies for Information Operations (TIO) short course, Nov. 17. Thörnqvist detailed current challenges to security in the Baltic Sea, and the benefits of multinational training and cooperation.

"We're working with not only the U.S., but many other countries," said Thörnqvist. "We can create a better understanding from each other, and a greater interoperability among forces, by working on education and training exercises together, which is what I'm looking forward to."

Thörnqvist, once a student at the Naval War College, understands the challenge of higher education and the benefits of sending his service members to the Naval Postgraduate School.

"I'm interested in the courses given at NPS and how my Swedish forces can benefit from attending NPS," said Thörnqvist. "When I first visited NPS in 2004, I was a student at the Naval War College. I looked at the U.S. studies and I must say I was envious.

"The studies, in my opinion, were a little bit more tricky here, more intense, and a little bit higher tempo. What you're doing here is beneficial to all nations," he added.

Nav buttons

Archives

2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013

Today@NPS showcases some of the speakers, conferences, experiments, lectures, and other events that take place at the Naval Postgraduate School on a daily basis. If you would like more information about any of the highlighted activities please contact the Office of University Communications at pao@nps.edu.
November 2015 Title

November 2015

Asset Publisher