Today@NPS_Title

Today@NPS

Asset Publisher
NPS Student to Tackle The Big Sur
U.S. Navy photo by Javier Chagoya

NPS Student to Tackle The Big Sur

By Javier Chagoya

Marine Corps Capt. Christine Taranto, a logistics management student with NPS' Graduate School of Business and Public Policy, runs along Lake Del Monte, Feb. 18. Taranto is preparing to compete in the Big Sur International Marathon (BSIM).

"The 26.2 mile course has some grueling climbs and will be challenging for all the runners on the course. I've started to do hill workouts and I am averaging 50-60 miles a week for base training. I'm very excited to run this famous course and I'm ready to give my best effort," said Taranto.

Taranto completed her first race, the Washington D.C. National Marathon, with a respectable 3:29. Lately, she has been working on racing strategy and improving her race times while competing with the Marine Corps Marathon Team.

Taranto notes that every marathon is a lesson learned and that each race presents its own challenges. But she is not preparing alone, her fellow NPS students have contributed to her workout routine.

"I'm honored to get to run [the BSIM] as a student at NPS and to have the company of many talented and motivated runners from the NPS running club and the Monterey community," said Taranto.

The 30th Big Sur International Marathon kicks off April 26. Taranto hopes that her hard work will pay off and that she will finish strong at Carmel's Crossroads Shopping Center.

Nav buttons

Archives

2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013

Today@NPS showcases some of the speakers, conferences, experiments, lectures, and other events that take place at the Naval Postgraduate School on a daily basis. If you would like more information about any of the highlighted activities please contact the Office of University Communications at pao@nps.edu.
February 2015 Title

February 2015

Asset Publisher