Today@NPS_Title

Today@NPS

Asset Publisher
NPS Senior Sailor of the Year Rose to Final Five Among Shore Command Sailors
U.S. Navy photo by MC2 Nathan K. Serpico

By MC2 Nathan K. Serpico

Electronics Technician 1st Class Jennifer Macaya, from Bronx, New York, represented the Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) as one of the five finalists for the 2018 Naval Shore Activities Sailor of the Year.

Macaya was recognized for her performance as the Academics Leading Petty Officer where she led 10 Sailors in the operation, inventory and equipment maintenance of all Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and System Engineering (SE) labs aboard NPS.

“I spend a good portion of my day making sure Sailors are trained,” said Macaya. “I want them to have everything they need to succeed professionally and personally. It’s a great feeling to know that my senior leadership believes in me, and is doing the same for me.”

She gives thanks to her family for their never-ending support in her decisions, and to her senior leadership here at NPS for taking the time to mentor and invest in her.

“I want Sailors to know that I’m there for them,” said Macaya. “I feel having gotten this far in the SOY program, it lets everyone know I’m a steady resource.”

Chief Electrician’s Mate Brian Carpenter, Academics Leading Chief Petty Officer, said recommending Macaya was one of the easiest and most confident decisions he has made in his 20 years of service. After checking onboard, he noticed her immediately as someone passionately dedicated to the Navy and its Sailors.

“I am very proud of ET1 Macaya, and I eagerly await her future selection as Electronics Technician Chief Petty Officer.”

The Sailor of the Year Program has recognized Sailors who represent the best of our Navy for almost 50 years. The program was established in 1972 by then Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Elmo Zumwalt and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy John Whittet to recognize Sailors who have demonstrated the highest standards of our Navy, and have proven themselves by their performance, knowledge and leadership on the deck plates.

Nav buttons

Archives

2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013

Today@NPS showcases some of the speakers, conferences, experiments, lectures, and other events that take place at the Naval Postgraduate School on a daily basis. If you would like more information about any of the highlighted activities please contact the Office of University Communications at pao@nps.edu.
April 2019 Title

April 2019

January | February | March | April | May | June | July | See News Center for more stories.
Asset Publisher
print styles - today@nps