Today@NPS_Title

Today@NPS

Asset Publisher
Classified Computing Lead Honored With Civilian Service Award
U.S. Navy photo by MC2 Michael Ehrlich

By MC2 Victoria Ochoa

ITACS Deputy Chief Information Officer (CIO) for Operations Chris Gaucher, left, and Director/CIO Joe LoPiccolo, center, present Director of Classified Computing and Client Services Don Free with a framed picture of NPS signed by his colleagues, March 24. Free has accepted a position in the Privacy Office of the Navy's Chief Information Officer in Washington, D.C.

"I look across the five years I have spent here, and they are all fond memories that have made me a better person," said Free. "I've really enjoyed working with everyone."

Free came to NPS in 2011 to improve and evolve ITACS' classified computing program, but applied his innovative ideas to a number of programs across the institution that garnered him recognition and respect campus-wide.

"Don came to us to build out our classified computing program, which he did an amazing job at. We have a sustainable program that will last for years long after he leaves us," said LoPiccolo. "He will be sorely missed and I know he is going to an organization that can influence us at times, so I'm hoping you impart your .edu knowledge on them," he added with a smile.

Free was well known among his coworkers for his unique, enduring sense of humor, but was equally regarded for his approach to the ITACS mission.

"Ever since I met Don, I have been inspired by his commitment to customers and to the mission," said Gaucher. "It's inspirational not only to me, but for everyone that he has touched and worked with."

Nav buttons

Archives

2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013

Today@NPS showcases some of the speakers, conferences, experiments, lectures, and other events that take place at the Naval Postgraduate School on a daily basis. If you would like more information about any of the highlighted activities please contact the Office of University Communications at pao@nps.edu.
March Title

March 2016

Asset Publisher