Congratulations on your new assignment to the Naval Postgraduate School!
The following information is provided to assist you in making your transition.
Check in information:
- You are directed to first check-in in the Service Alpha uniform with the Marine Detachment (MarDet) which is located at the Defense Language Institute (DLI) located at the Presidio of Monterey (POM). This is an installation that is separate from the Naval Postgraduate School, however they handle our administrative duties. You should also know that parking spaces near the Det are rarely available. It is advisable to bring green PT gear in the event Training requests weigh-ins. Motorcycle riders should also bring their information and documentation to be entered into the unit’s motorcycle rider database.
- Reporting before the “No Earlier than Date” requires Prior Approval from Director of Student Services.
- Once complete with the MarDet at DLI, proceed to the Student Services Office (SSO) between 0800 and 1500. The SSO is located in the basement of Hermann Hall at 1 University Way on NPS (see map below, identified by ‘He’). Hermann Hall is the main building on NPS, located at the flagpole.
- Proceed through the NPS main gate (at Sloat and 9th), keep right after the gate and then turn left on University Way. Hermann Hall will be directly in front of you. At the SSO, expect to fill out paperwork, establish an nps.edu e-mail and access account, and take a picture. Do not schedule household goods deliveries or any other appointment this day.
- Upon completion with the SSO, proceed to the Senior Marine Representative’s Office. This office is located on the first floor of Hermann Hall in room 116. Here, expect to be greeted by the Deputy Senior Marine Representative (LtCol Camardo) or the Senior Marine Representative (Col McCarthy).
- Attend new student orientation at TIME on TBD in King Hall (see map below) in Service Bravos.
- The Marine Student Body has an Activities Fund that is managed entirely by the Marine Students. There is a completely optional one-time contribution of $30 that will be solicited upon check-in. If you wish to contribute to the fund, please bring cash to orientation to facilitate the collection.
***Note: You must be within 90 days of your arrival date to set up an account.***
Once within 30-90 days of your NPS report date, go to https://www.nps.edu/newstudents and follow the directions listed under web in processing (resident students). Complete all pre-registration prior to your arrival.
- Your user-id is: first initial, middle initial, first 6 letters of last name
- Ex: J. J. Devildog = jjdevild
NOTE: If you are accessing the website using Windows 2000 and XP, you must enter your login as follows: ern\userid. If you are asked to enter a domain name enter: ern.
- Where <ccc> represents the student's 3-digit curric number, <ssss> represents the student's last four digits of the SSN, and <fl> represents the student's first initial and last initial as lowercase characters.
- After your initials add: abc123
- For example, student Jane Smith in curric 368 with last four of her SSN as 9876 would have the following password: NN368--9876jsabc123
- Passwords are case sensitive so the "NN" must be uppercase and the first and last initial must be entered as lowercase for the password to work.
- Note the following curriculum numbers:
SYSTEMS ENGINEERING AND ANALYSIS
CYBER SYSTEMS AND OPERATIONS
JOINT C4I SYSTEMS
SPACE SYSTEMS OPERATIONS
INFORMATION SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGY
MODELING, VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT & SIM.
COMBAT SYSTEMSSCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
SYSTEMS ENGINEERING (PHD)
ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
SPACE SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS ENGINEERING
MECHANICAL AND AEROSPACE ENGINEERING
MID EAST, S. ASIA, SUB SAHARAN AFRICA ST.
FAR EAST, SOUTH ASIA, PACIFIC STUDIES
WESTERN HEMISPHERE STUDIES
EUROPE AND EURASIA STUDIES
EXECUTIVE MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMIN.
DEFENSE SYSTEMS ANALYSIS
MATERIAL LOGISTICS SUPPPORT MGMT
MANPOWER SYSTEMS ANALYSIS
- If you experience any problems while accessing the website with your login and temporary password, please contact the NPS ITACs Helpdesk at (831) 656-1046. Monday – Friday 0730 – 1700 PST closed Thursdays 1315-1445.
Your e-mail Account must be use at least once a month or it will be deactivated.
- You will find sponsorship assignments included with this email
- You should hear from your sponsor, within the next 10 days. If not, then you may contact your sponsor with the address provided on the sponsorship roster.
- Further sponsorship questions may be directed to the Student Administrative Representative: Capt Jesse Adkison: email@example.com
Student Services Office:
Mrs. Cindy Bacus, firstname.lastname@example.org (831) 656-3812
Mr. Mario Salim, email@example.com (831) 656-3815
Director of Student Services:
COMM: (831) 656-3980
Student Services Office
Naval Postgraduate School
1 University Circle, HE-39
Monterey, CA 93943
For the NPS student Handbook please visit:
- Academic Honor Code, Pg. 22
- Student Accountability, Pg. 7
- Curriculum and academic calendar information is available on the following web site, or by calling one of the listed phone numbers:
- The Graduate Writing Center is now available in the public domain at:
- The GWC is a valuable resource that can be used to improve your academic writing skills. A proactive review of your writing ability is recommended prior to checking in at NPS.
For academic questions please contact your Education Technician:
Curriculum (Circle One)
308, 364, 366, 570, 580, 591
274, 372-4, 440, 525-6, 533-5
262, 281,289, 359, 361-3, 379, 698-9
234, 326, 336, 356, 358, 360, 365, 368-370, 386, 399, 475, 595-6
380, 590, 593
681-8, 691, 693-4
8xx (All 800 Curriculums)
LT Richard Sanford
General school contact information:
GRADUATE SCHOOL OF OPERATIONS AND INFORMATION SCIENCES (GSOIS):
SCHOOL OF INTERNATIONAL GRADUATE STUDIES (SIGS):
GRADUATE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AND PUBLIC POLICY (GSBPP):
GRADUATE SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING AND APPLIED SCIENCES (GSEAS):
Relocation and Housing information
Phone: (831) 242-7979
You are encouraged to visit NPS while on house hunting/TAD orders. Military Housing on the Monterey Peninsula has been privatized under the Army's Residential Communities Initiative (RCI) since 2003. The Housing is managed by "The Parks at Monterey Bay" with locations at La Mesa Village, Ord Military Community, and Presidio of Monterey. The cost of housing in the local community is very high.
- You are required to check in with the Military Housing Services Office either by email, phone, or in person to receive an in-depth housing briefing.
- There is no waiting list for housing at The Parks at Monterey Bay and the vast majority of the homes are new or renovated; assignment on a first-come, first-serve basis. The Parks at Monterey Bay will accept applications, proof of dependents, and orders in advance and will send you information about homes you qualify for in your rank band even before arriving to Monterey.
Service members that are students assigned to NPS have an entitlement to non-temporary storage at origin (i.e. last duty station) as part of their PCS move. Students are encouraged to use this entitlement. However, household goods brought to Monterey to be subsequently put into storage at government expense must be approved by the NPS Supply Officer or they can be stored at owners' expense. According to the JFTR entitlement to store at destination is only applicable for students residing in Military Housing.
NPS Students requesting Non-Temp Storage must contact Personal Property Office at
PersProp@nps.edu or call (831) 656-2151
Local school information
The Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (MPUSD) serves all military housing areas plus the local cities of Monterey, Del Rey Oaks, Seaside, Sand City and Marina. Some schools serving the military housing areas experience over-enrollment at various times during the school year making coordination between the local military installations and MPUSD key to ensuring the District is informed on the number of incoming military school age children.
For further information on school district information, any school related issue/special need or if you are arriving in the middle of the school year, please contact the School Liaison Office:
NSA Monterey School Liaison Officer:
Phone (831) 656-1008
Fleet and Family Support Center
To get started enter the above web site and click on "Programs and Services," then "Relocation Information," then "Sites." FFSC provides employment assistance for spouses, Tricare information and Monterey County Unified School District information.
Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLE)
Ten (10) days of TLE is authorized for transferring students. Hard copy orders are required for check-in to the Herrmann Hall BOQ. Ensure you get a non-availability of government quarters, if required, to ensure reimbursement.
QUARTERDECK: DSN: 756-2441/42 COM: (831) 656-2441/42
BILLETING: DSN: 756-2060 COM: (831) 656-2060
NAVY LODGE: 1-800-628-9466 COM: (831) 372-6133
HOUSEHOLD GOODS: DSN: 756-2151 COM: (831) 656-2151
Instruction Begins: TBD
Directions to NPS
From San Francisco and San Jose
- Take US Route 101 South toward Prunedale
- At Prunedale, take CA Route 156 West to CA Route 1 South
- Proceed on CA Route 1 S to Monterey
- Take the "Del Monte Avenue" exit
- Follow the signs to Del Monte Avenue and turn left on Sloat Avenue
- Turn left at stop sign to enter the campus Main Gate, gate access information
From Los Angeles and San Diego
- Take US Hwy 5 North toward Sacramento
- At Lost Hills, take CA Route 46 West toward Paso Robles
- At Paso Robles, take US Route 101 North toward Salinas
- At Salinas, take CA Route 68 West to Monterey
- Stay left on 68 W to merge onto CA Route 1 South
- Take the first "Monterey" exit
- Stay left on the exit, turn left onto Aguajito Road
- After .5 miles turn left at Mark Thomas Drive
- Follow Mark Thomas Drive to Sloat Avenue
- Turn right at the stop sign to enter the campus Main Gate, gate access information
From Monterey Peninsula Airport
- The road leading out of the airport is Olmstead Road
- Follow Olmstead Road to Garden Road - first street on the right
- Turn right onto Garden Road
- Take Garden Road to 3-way traffic light; turn left onto Mark Thomas Drive
- Turn right onto Sloat Avenue at first traffic light
- Turn right at stop sign to enter the campus Main Gate, gate access information
Arriving By Air
Monterey is serviced by three major airlines with most flights connecting through San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, or Phoenix.
Persons taking a taxi should direct the driver to take them to the "Main Gate at NPS".
Please make your own arrangements for transportation to and from airports.
Map of NPS
Directions from NPS to DLI MARDET