Remote Access - Windows
VPN Access for Microsoft Windows Users
The Cisco AnyConnect VPN client supports Windows 2000 SP4, Windows XP SP2, Windows Vista, and Windows 7, in either 32 or 64bit versions.
To download and run the VPN Client:
- Make sure you have administrator rights on your computer.
- Add DOD Root Certificates to your account store. See procedure below.
- Add "https://bouncer.nps.edu" to your browser trusted sites. See Procedure below.
- Open "https://bouncer.nps.edu" from your browser.
- When prompted, enter your NPS account name and password.
- Accept the banner announcement by clicking "continue".
- The client will be automatically downloaded and installed.
To disconnect from the VPN:
- Double click on the "Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client" icon on the taskbar. (It looks like a yellow padlock next to two blue disks.)
- Select the "Connection" tab
- Click on the "Disconnect" button
To connect to the VPN after the client has been installed:
- Select "Cisco -> Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client" under "All Programs".
- Enter your NPS account name and password when prompted.
To enable access to your local (home) network devices:
- Start the Cisco AnyConnect Client. Do NOT enter your password.
- Click on the button with the two yellow gears next to the "Connect to:" Window
- On the "AnyConnect Preferences" window make sure that "Enable local LAN access" is checked, then click "OK". (This allows addresses in the 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 range to be sent to your local network.)
To add the DOD Root Certificates to your account store:
The DOD Root Certificates can be downloaded from the bottom of the Remote Access page.
To add "bouncer.nps.edu" to the trusted sites in Internet Explorer:
- Open the MSIE Browser
- Click on "Tools" -> "Internet Options"
- Click on the "Security" tab, then click on the "Trusted Sites" green arrow Icon.
- Click on the "sites" button.
- Under "Add this site to the zone" enter "https://bouncer.nps.edu" and then click the "Add" button.
- Click "close", then click "ok".
For additional information:
- The release notes for the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client version 2.3 (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista) are available at this link:
- The release notes for the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client version 2.4 (Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7) are available at this link: