Today@NPS_Title

Today@NPS

Asset Publisher
Students Back on Campus for Start of the Winter Quarter
U.S. Navy photo by MC2 Michael Ehrlich

By MC2 Michael Ehrlich

Lt. Jordan Klein, beginning his third quarter at NPS, is a student in the mechanical engineering program. Since arriving at NPS last year, Klein has laterally transferred into the Engineering Duty Officer community, and is ready to embark on the research supporting his master's thesis and the hands-on graduate education he came to the university for.

"I'm dedicated to serving the Navy and I enjoy the area of mechanical engineering," said Klein. "I am really looking forward to working on my thesis ... to study with one of the engines that the school uses for testing, and getting to dive into the things I'll be doing later in my career. I get to get my hands dirty doing what I'm learning about."

Klein is preparing himself for the time obligations of his thesis while also looking further to adjustments he will have to make when he returns to the fleet.

"My only concern is the time commitments and getting use to that, then transitioning back to the fleet to an operational setting and a heavier workload," said Klein. "I think that they are getting me well prepared here. The school does a lot to support the students to pursue whatever track or community they are in."

Klein knows that the demands of being an NPS student come with lifelong benefits, both in and out of the classroom.

"Networking with the other students, and finding mentors in the program officers, helps out tremendously because they are people you are going to run into in the fleet later in life," said Klein. "I don't mind sacrificing my time or putting out extra effort to do what I can to become a better officer and a better Sailor."

Nav buttons

Archives

2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013

Today@NPS showcases some of the speakers, conferences, experiments, lectures, and other events that take place at the Naval Postgraduate School on a daily basis. If you would like more information about any of the highlighted activities please contact the Office of University Communications at pao@nps.edu.
January 2017 Title

January 2017

Asset Publisher

print styles - today@nps