Today@NPS_Title

Today@NPS

Asset Publisher
NPS' Australian Navy Liaison Honored With Service Award
U.S. Navy photo by MC2 Michael Ehrlich

By MC2 Michael Ehrlich

NPS' Royal Australian Navy Liaison Capt. Mike Smith, right, was presented the Meritorious Service Medal from NPS President retired Vice Adm. Ronald A. Route in Ingersoll Hall, March 10. Smith received the honor for his outstanding service as the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Liaison for the Graduate School of Business and Public Policy (GSBPP) from June 2013 to Dec. 2016.

During his time at NPS, Smith was, "instrumental in his role as co-director of the GSBPP's Center for Defense Management Research," said Route. "He expertly leveraged these networks to significantly improve sponsor and researcher coordination."

Smith has served 35 years in the RAN in what he describes as two careers. The major accomplishment in his first was his involvement in an international ship acquisition program with New Zealand.

"I was part of the team that put out the negotiations to build 10 frigates in Australia. There were lots of challenges because there were two nations with different aspirations and we hadn't built ships for quite a while in Australia. At the same time, when we were trying to get this contract out, the government privatized the dockyard. It was a complex space," said Smith.

The major accomplishment of his second career in the Navy, Smith says, is the time he has served here at NPS.

"I've been here since 2013. It's a terrific institution, the people are great to work with, my colleagues are now great friends on campus and the president of NPS is an inspiration with his leadership," said Smith. "I'm just so grateful for his support of what I do and what everyone on campus does. He is genuinely interested in supporting us, that's what makes this award so special to have this from him.

"I find this to be a very humbling experience. It's an honor to represent the work that we do, and it's terrific to have the support of so many colleagues in what we are trying to achieve," continued Smith. "We are all so motivated to do our best by NPS and by the nation. It almost makes me speechless to think that my contribution, that I almost take for granted as a professional, is being recognized in this way."

Nav buttons

Archives

2019 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013

Today@NPS showcases some of the speakers, conferences, experiments, lectures, and other events that take place at the Naval Postgraduate School on a daily basis. If you would like more information about any of the highlighted activities please contact the Office of University Communications at pao@nps.edu.
March 2017 Title

March 2017

Asset Publisher

print styles - today@nps