Asset Publisher

NPS Accounting Department Head Retires After 39 Years of Federal Service

Head of the NPS Comptroller’s Office accounting department, Krista L. Painter is embraced by her daughter Nicole, who traveled to Monterey to surprise her mother during her retirement ceremony, Oct. 11.

Head of the NPS Comptroller’s Office accounting department, Krista L. Painter is embraced by her daughter Nicole, who traveled to Monterey to surprise her mother during her retirement ceremony, Oct. 11. Painter boasts a combined 39 years of federal service, working for the U.S. Air Force, the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, the Army Corps of Engineers, the U.S. Navy, and the Defense Finance and Accounting Service.

“I was a wild child, graduating high school in 1969 ... And working for the Department of Defense gave me the discipline I needed in my life,” Painter said. “Accounting also has that balance, and I have enjoyed the opportunity to make changes in the accounting and finance world, and hopefully affect people in the future.”

In a career that began as a travel voucher examiner for the U.S. Air Force, Painter spent most of her career, 25 years, as an accounting manager for operations, using her profession and career as an opportunity to travel and experience new places. Although her time at NPS has been brief, her leadership says her impact on the university has been significant.

“Krista has been here for two years, which is too short in my opinion,” said NPS Comptroller and Director of Financial Management Kevin Little. “During her tenure at NPS, she has exhibited a genuine commitment to the mission of NPS and utilized her knowledge, skills and general understanding of government processes and procedures in improving the quality of work performed by the accounting and timekeeping departments.”

As she moves on to other priorities, Painter offered this advice to her colleagues in government service.

“I have been here for two years and this has been one of the most challenging positions in my career,” said Painter. “I think you need to be flexible. One of the most important things is to be someone that shares information with others, because that is a true gift that you have to give ... your knowledge. If you can share your knowledge, you can make a contribution wherever you go.”

bookmarks move script

Current Headlines Sidebar
Asset Publisher

empty content

Media contact box

MEDIA CONTACT

Office of University Communications
1 University Circle
Monterey, CA 93943
(831) 656-1068
https://nps.edu/office-of-university-communications
pao@nps.edu